Do's & Don'ts for Healthy Nails
Who isn't looking for healthy, beautiful fingernails and toenails? Read on for some awesome DIY do's and don'ts that will keep your hands and feet looking like a true perfect 10!
Must Do's for Healthy Nails
- Protect your nails with gloves. A beautiful set of nails starts with a healthy set of nails. If your work or hobbies exposes your nails to excessive moisture, it's important that you protect them with gloves so that you don't run the risk of developing a fungal infection. Same goes for extreme weather; keep your cuticles cozy to keep those winter manis fresh!
- Trim your nails carefully. Developing a hangnail on your hand and foot is not only painful, but it can also invite infection. Cut your nails straight across, and use a file as needed to ensure a clean line that doesn't bite into the skin and cause pain, pressure, or inflammation.
- Take your vitamins! Eating a healthy diet, including supplements as necessary, is essential. If you're struggling with weak, damaged nails, consider taking biotin, which is a B vitamin that some believe helps promote hair and nail health. If you're not sure you want to commit to a daily supplement, you can also pamper your fingernails and toenails with additional oils or masks to help soften, soothe, and strengthen.
...and the Don'ts!
- Don't pick or bite. Yes, your mother was right! Biting your nails and picking your cuticles is just a big no-no. To avoid the temptation, try rocking a set of artificial nails for a while to break the habit.
- Don't rely too heavily on chemicals. DIY manicures at home can save money and be a great tool for self-care, but be careful about using too much nail polish and nail polish remover. The chemicals in nail polish remover in particular can be really harsh, so if you tend to want to remove your polish the second you start to see chips, you might be better off choosing an imPRESS press-on manicure to take a break from the polish and remover cycle.
- Don't ignore nail problems. Choosing artificial nails can be a fun way to get gorgeous nails in a hurry, but it's important to see a doctor for persistent nail problems, like breakage, discoloration, or other concerns.
Our nails can be a beautiful way to express ourselves, but they can also be a window into our overall health and wellness. After all, beauty may be only skin deep, but true health will radiate through and through.